Technology users always face different types of problems while using it. Similarly, sometimes you get frustrated when the cursor drifting occurs on the screen even when you are not touching the mouse. This issue is associated mostly with the wireless mouse. However, the USB mouse or laptop touchpad can show this problem. Mouse drifting is one of the major factors that influence mouse clicking speed and work productivity.
If you want to know the reason behind this floating cursor on the screen and the solution to this problem, then go through the whole article.
What is Mouse Drifting/Floating?
In mouse drifting, the cursor moves spontaneously on the screen when you are not using the mouse. It has been seen that the issue of mouse drift in windows 10 is common.
Reasons for Mouse Drifting/ Floating
There are many reasons behind the mouse cursor drifting, and we tried to cover all these reasons.
1. Dirt in Sensor
Dirt accumulation in the mouse sensor leads to the floating cursor issue. This problem has a simple and easy solution, i.e., cleaning the sensor of a mouse.
2. Signals Issue
Distortion in the signal transmission is another reason for mouse wandering. The use of a wireless mouse involves the signals for the transmission of the input. If the signals are poor between the sender and receiver. In that case, that results in faulty input and leads to the development of the floating mouse problem.
3. Broken Cable
The non-wireless mouse with cable also becomes the cause of this issue if the cable is broken. So in case of any physical damage like a broken cable, there are more chances that you have to replace the mouse.
4. Rough Surface
The uneven surface can make your mouse cursor drift. That is why using a mouse pad is preferred to avoid this issue. However, a plain surface can also work here.
5. High Sensitivity
If the mouse sensors are too sensitive, it responds even to the slightest vibrations that cause this float mouse problem. This issue can be resolved by changing the mouse sensitivity in settings.
How to Use a Mouse Drift Test?
Follow these simple protocols if you want to use a mouse drift test to check your mouse condition.
- Go to the top of the page to use the mouse drifting test.
- To test the mouse cursor, set the time limit. The tool is set for unlimited by default, but you can set it according to your requirement.
- Click on the start button present in the box on the screen
- Then wait for a while, keep your mouse steady, and don’t touch it
- During this time, if the mouse makes any move on its own without your touch on the mouse, a red signal appears in the result
- The message written in red will inform you that your mouse has moved
- Click on the left and right buttons and scroll during the test. In this way, you can see how your mouse sensor responds to the action.
Features of Mouse Drift Test
1. Easy to Use
The test is easy to perform and independent of the types of mouse. For example, you can check whether the mouse is wired or wireless. It can also test the functioning of the touchpad present in the laptops and other devices. This tool is easy to use without the need for extra effort. Anyone can test their mouse or touchpad on any device.
2. No Installation
You don’t need to download the app or software for mouse testing. This test is performed online easily without any hassle.
You can operate this test on any operating system. For example, you can check the functionality of the mouse on Ubuntu and Macbook windows. The test works well, independent of the type of operating system.
4. Works for All Types of Mouse
The tool tests the working of the mouse irrespective of the brand. You can test any mouse brand such as Logitech, Zowie mouse, and Redragon mouse. The tool also helps test external mobile hardware such as gaming mice.
How to Fix Mouse Drifting?
It is better to fix the floating mouse by employing different ways or methods instead of replacing it with the new one because a mouse in better condition can improve your clicking and overall computer work. However, the solution is based on the mouse type and the issue. There are two types of mouse external and touchpad mouse. The fixing of the problem is done by first checking the hardware parts. If in the hardware section everything is fine, then move to the software portion to check the reason.
Following are some of the points that will help you evaluate your device’s structural integrity.
1. Mouse Pads
They are used to provide a smooth surface for the mouse. However, if you have been using the mouse pad for a long time, it gets rough. Most of the areas are getting faded and lose the smoothness that holds the mouse in place. In this case, if you slightly move your mouse, your pointer will start moving automatically on the screen. If you use the washable mouse pad, then wash it first to remove the dirt. If it can’t be washed, replace it with a new one.
Most people prefer to use a desk rather than a mouse pad. We all know that desks are available in different varieties. Unfortunately, the desk with drawers becomes slant with time, leading to the table’s disturbing alignment. The uneven alignment leads to the production of mouse drifting issues. So check the alignment of the table and replace it.
3. Associated Accessories
If any input device is connected to your system, then disconnect it in case of drifting. Sometimes we use different types of games controlling gadgets such as joysticks with the system. Most of the time, the game controllers take charge of the mouse movement and cause mouse drifting issues. Remove all the extra input devices from the system and check the functioning of your mouse again.
1. Update the Mouse Setting
If you are a Windows 10 user, don’t forget to update your mouse firmware. The users of Windows 10 insiders update the mouse settings occasionally to the latest version. Therefore, you should use the mouse maker’s support and download its latest update.
The presence of any problem in your hardware settings raises the need for troubleshooting. You can troubleshoot it using the built-in troubleshooter present in the operating system. It finds out and fixes the problem of your mouse. This is the process that you can follow for troubleshooting
- By clicking the window key+S or window sign at the start, search the command prompt.
- Please open it and click the option run on the administrator. Type this command msdt.exe -id Device Diagnostic
- And press the enter key
- The popup window will appear
- Click on the next option and allow it to run
3. Examine the Drivers
You should check that your window has the latest drivers for your devices, especially Windows 10 users. Otherwise, update, reinstall and roll back the mouse’s driver for restoring its function. In this way, you can troubleshoot cursor issues to normalize the behavior of your mouse.
The scanning is an essential activity that should be done while using the system. If you see that any virus or app is taking charge of your mouse and causing the mouse to float, then scan it. You can use mouse defender or malware bytes to remove any virus or malware.
5. Realtek HD Audio Manager Driver
This driver causes conflict with the mouse driver and has become the cause of mouse floating. If your system has this driver and you face this issue, reinstall and update the driver. Still, it did not resolve the issue other than disabling the Realtek HD audio manager driver.
For disabling the driver, follow the below protocol:
- Open the task manager by pressing the ctrl+shift+Esc
- Below the startup tab, make the right-click on the Realtek HD audio manager driver
- A popup will open; select the disable option from it.
6. Modification in Touchpad Setting
Too much high sensitivity of the touchpad will result in an abrupt response even with the slightest touch of the mouse. You can also set the sensitivity of your touchpad to overcome the problem of mouse drifting. The following steps will help you to change the sensitivity of the touchpad.
- Press the window key+I
- It will open the setting of the window
- Search the options touchpad setting
- Click on it to open it
- Scroll down you will see the option of the change the cursor speed
- Move the bar towards low, medium, and high to set the touchpad sensitivity.
7. Deactivate the Touchpad of Your Device
Sometimes the dirt accumulates in your device’s touchpad, and it results in the development of the mouse drifting problem. If you are using the mouse with the laptop, you should disable the laptop’s touchpad. Do the following steps for disabling your touchpad:
- Open the setting
- Press the window key + I
- Search the option to turn the touchpad on or off
- Click the search result to open the option
- Slide the button to make the touchpad off
- Some laptops have special keys present on them. You will turn it on/off by switching them.
8. Speed of Mouse
You can also solve the problem of mouse drifting by changing the speed of the mouse. For this purpose, do the following steps:
- Move to the control panel
- Search the mouse icon and double-click on it.
- Mouse properties will open
- A small window appears, and you will see different properties of the mouse. Click on the pointer options tab.
- Slide the bar to set the speed of the window and click ok
9. Mouse Precision
If the problem persists, then move to the other method for the solution. Disable the enhanced pointer precision
- Move to the control panel to open the mouse properties
- There are many tabs; select the pointer options tab.
- Uncheck the option and click ok
10. Mouse Device Uninstall/Reinstall
This is another way by which you can remove the drifting mouse cursor fault. Move to the device manager to uninstall and reinstall the mouse device by following these steps:
- Press the window key + R together
- As a result, the command box will open.
- Run the command in the open box by typing the devmgmt.msc.
- Press ok button
- Click on the down arrow of mice and another pointing device to expand the option
- Make a right-click and uninstall the device.
- A warning message will appear. Click on the uninstall button
- The small window appears in which you are provided with two options
- Press enter to restart the system
- The other option is if you are not provided with the restart option, then go with this method.
- Press Windows and X key
- And then press the U and R key on the keyboard.
- In this way, you can restart the PC manually.
- After the restart, check the mouse whether the problem is solved or not.
Mouse drifting is not a big issue if handled with great care and consideration. There are many ways by which you can check the reasons behind the mouse drifting. After becoming aware of the specific reasons that cause cursor floating, you can easily solve the problem by employing any suitable method. The mouse testing tool online is equipped with striking features that make it suitable for checking the function of the mouse and saving you from any major problem.